Monday, July 25, 2011

25 Random Things About Me (Written: 01/30/09)

Kerry
June 22, 2011

This was taken from a game that was passed around Facebook back in 2009:

1. I am left handed and I think it explains why I think so differently from everyone else. (That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it, anyway.) ;o)

2. I had to have 2 math credits and 1 science credit (or vice versa) in order to graduate high school way back in 1984 so I took Math 9 and Biology 1 my freshman year and Algebra 1 my sophomore year. By Christmas I had a “D” in Algebra and was totally lost so I dropped the class. My junior year I took Algebra 1 again. Again, by Christmas I had a “D” and was totally lost so I dropped the class. Those two first semesters equaled a full credit, though, and THAT’S how I graduated high school. (Sad. I know. And somehow my boys are both math geniuses...)

3. I was crazy about my grandparents growing up - mother’s mother, “Memow,” and Dad’s parent’s, “Paw” and “Granny.” As much as I miss them all, I think of Paw most every day and will still tear up if I allow myself to think of him too much. He died 33 years ago. He was 62; I was almost 10.

4. Paw was bed-ridden with rheumatoid arthritis by the time I was 7 years old but he continued to smoke a pack or more of Winston’s each day. I remember crawling up in bed to ly beside him, placing a cigarette in his mouth, lighting it, and flicking his ashes in the ash tray for him while we watched “All in the Family” and “The Jefferson’s” on a black and white T.V. It’s a wonder I didn’t burn the house down around us.

5. I remember Granny saying that she was more a funeral person than a wedding person. And now I get it. I’m the same way. I am much more likely to offer my support to my grieving family, friends and neighbors when someone they loved has passed away than to attend happy weddings.

6. I think my brother, Wade, and I had idyllic childhoods. We had ponies and puppies and kittens and rabbits and we roamed the woods to our hearts content. Stick guns were always better than toy guns, too, because they could be machine guns or shotguns or whatever you wanted them to be. (Imagination was the name of the game back then.)

7. Back in the day we didn’t have garbage pick up, so my mother burned our garbage in a large metal drum in the backyard. One summer day when she had a fire going, Wade took a wire coat hanger and shaped the end into a western “W.” The boy absolutely intended to brand my butt! The only thing that saved me was when he realized the “W” would be a dead giveaway. (Like anyone else would have done it.)

8. I have three very beautiful, very intelligent, very considerate children. They are just as different from one another as they are alike, but I couldn’t be more proud of each one of them. And the best part is that they love and look out for one another!

9. I went from having no children to having three children in a 19 month period of time. And they could have passed as triplets most of their lives.

10. I HATE to shop, whether it’s for clothing, groceries, whatever. I have to know what I need and where I can find it before I will leave the house so that the experience will be as quick and painless as possible. This doesn’t mesh with my daughter who LOVES to shop.

11. I am a list maker. I love making lists for any reason. My children give me a lot of grief about this - especially the Saturday chore list - but it gives me a great sense of accomplishment to be able to mark things off. Done!

12. I dust my house MAYBE once a year. If you’re lucky. This I blame on my mother. (Sorry Mom!) When she went to work outside our home when I was in junior high school, she left a chore list almost every day for me and Wade to do when we got home from school. I always got to dust - probably because Wade would not. And if it wasn’t as good a job as she thought it should have been, I would have to dust again the following day. There were times I dusted 3 days in a row. Have you BEEN to my mother’s house? Have you SEEN her knickknack collection? (Sorry Mom!)

13. Because of the experiences described in #12 I have a very minimalistic approach to decorating my home.

14. I have enjoyed 4 cruises so far in my lifetime. Three were to the Bahamas (Freeport and Nassau) and one to the Gulf of Mexico (Cozumel and Costa Maya.) If you ever want to take a cruise (totally worth every penny) try the Royal Caribbean line.

15. Steve took me to Sedona, AZ for a long weekend in 2007. We stayed in the Amara Resort & Spa where we enjoyed a couples massage; we took a helicopter tour, then a Jeep tour; and we spent a Saturday driving up and enjoying the sights at the Grand Canyon. Best trip EVER. Everybody should see Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Gorgeous.

16. I have been married and divorced 3 times, which is a huge disappointment to me. My life’s ambition was to be a wife and mother. And it has provided something else my children love to give me grief about: “Kerry L**** S**** M******* A**** S**** E*****.” Ick!!!!!

17. I work because I have to. I am a home body at heart and would love to stay home and piddle around my house and yard.

18. I don’t want a huge house. I have lived in a 3,500 sq. ft. home and rarely had time to play because it always needed cleaning. I am much, much happier in my tiny, cozy home.

19. I love cats much more than dogs, although that doesn’t mean I don’t love dogs, too! I have a 9 year old blind dog now that can’t smell and has selective hearing. And I bought him a seeing eye cat to play with. They are very entertaining!

20. I love to ride my bicycles.

21. I love riding roller coasters.

22. Daddy always wanted Wade and me to sing with him in a gospel quartet. We were raised around the piano, learning our parts. And I have sang with them for years, in front of as little as 10 people and as many as 600 people. But singing in front of people other than family is not something I enjoy. I am not that good and I always feel like they’re being forced to listen, against their will.

23. I always wished I were a published author. I dream of writing novels as skillful and as heart warming as Nicholas Sparks.

24. I believe that happiness is a choice and that humor is the cure to most of life’s bad situations.

25. I may be almost 43 on the outside, but I am 16 and full of mischief on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment